N.C. Alliance for Public Charter Schools adds directors, regional offices
RALEIGH, N.C. – The N.C. Alliance for Public Charter Schools unanimously elected two new directors and made a number of structural changes at the December meeting of its board of directors. The new directors are Baker Mitchell, a founder of two charter schools who will serve as secretary, and Dave Faunce, a CPA and also a founder of two charter schools, who will serve as treasurer. The Alliance’s volunteer board of directors now has over a half-century of combined charter school experience and has responsibility for educating 15% of charter students in North Carolina.
In addition to electing the two new directors, the Alliance is opening regional offices, adding regional coordinators, and has retained an experienced executive management group in lieu of full-time office personnel.“We are a member-driven, member-focused organization, and our move toward a less centralized, more regionalized structure strengthens our ability to serve our member schools and respond to their needs,” says Paul Norcross, the Alliance’s Chairman of the Board. “Our board of directors is excited about the future of public charter schools in North Carolina, and the Alliance looks forward to continuing to serve as the voice for our state’s charter school community.”
Members of the Alliance’s board of directors are:
- Chair: Paul Norcross, Phoenix Academy
- Vice Chair: Gail Scott Taylor, Carter Community School
- Secretary: Baker Mitchell, Charter Day School and Columbus Charter School
- Treasurer: Dave Faunce, CPA, Thomas Jefferson Classical Academy and Lake Lure Classical Academy
- Todd Havican, Union Academy Charter School
- George Wrenn Ragsdale, Mendenhall Country Day
- Brandon Smith, East Wake Academy.
The Alliance’s Regional Coordinators are:
- Eastern North Carolina: Baker Mitchell
- Triangle Area: Brandon Smith
- Raleigh-Durham Urban Areas: Gail Scott Taylor
- Piedmont Triad: George Wrenn Ragsdale
- Charlotte Metro: Todd Havican
- Western North Carolina: Dave Faunce.
The Alliance’s Council Chairs are:
- School Board Council: Todd Havican
- School Principal Council: Brandon Smith
The N.C. Alliance for Public Charter Schools is a 501(c)(3), nonprofit, non-partisan organization with a mission of advancing quality educational opportunities for all North Carolina children by supporting and expanding successful public charter schools, For more information, please visit http://nccharters.org.